Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Final Countdown

Well, this is it: the last few days before I leave home and head off to England for a whole semester. I’ve been counting down the days since before I even got accepted into the study abroad program, and now it’s finally here! I’m so excited that lately I’ve been bursting into spontaneous dance, which probably looks like a seizure to most people since I have absolutely zero dance skills. But who cares—I’m going to England!!
      A few people have asked me lately if I’m nervous or anxious about traveling out of the country for the first time and living on my own, but thankfully I haven’t been worried at all because I have two wonderful people that I can rely on for support: Jamie and Barbara.
      I’ve known Jamie for most of my life, and she’s just about the nicest, most talented person you could ever meet. Her long years of hard work and dedication to theater have allowed her the opportunity to study at Birmingham University in a prestigious Masters Program, for which everyone is extremely proud of her. Luckily for me, Jamie’s school term starts the same day as mine so we’re going to be traveling to England together. And even more luckily, Birmingham University happens to be about 20 miles from Coventry University, where I’ll be studying. So basically we’ll be able to visit each other whenever we want, like if we get homesick or when Thanksgiving rolls around and we have to go on an adventure to track down a turkey dinner (I have a feeling we’ll probably just end up at a pub eating good ol’ fish n’ chips). Knowing that I’m going to be traveling with and staying near Jamie makes me feel completely at ease... and it probably makes my parents feel a lot better, too. 
      Barbara is my other lifeline, and she has been the BIGGEST help for Jamie and me. Barbara is the grandmother of my oldest best friend, Chelsea, and she lives in Stratford-Upon-Avon. If you’ve never heard of Stratford-Upon-Avon, it’s where Shakespeare was born and lived (Sorry, but I just have to say that I get to study Shakespeare in Shakespeare country!! How awesome is that??)  Jamie’s technically going to be living in Stratford since its right next door to Birmingham, so Barbara has been the best resource for her. She’s even got a phone ready for me to use when I get there, as well as a taxi driver set up to take Jamie and me where we need to go when we arrive in Stratford. She’s supplied us with the best travel information, phone numbers for any type of emergency, and back-up plans. I’ve known Barbara most of my life, and she’s always been extremely kind and thoughtful, but I feel so blessed that she’s done so much for Jamie and me and really treats us like family. I can’t wait to get there and see her so I can give her her “thank you” present (which isn’t very much, but it’s something she can’t buy in England so I think she’ll be happy!).
      It’s been a crazy couple of weeks leading up this, and there are still a couple more things I need to do. There are a few more goodbye drinks and dinners to look forward to, and I’m also kind of excited about packing- is that weird? I don’t know if most people actually enjoy trying to pack everything they’re going to need for three months into one suitcase and carry-on, but I’ve already mock-packed awhile ago so I’ve got everything planned and organized. And believe me, I’ve been ready to go for awhile now.
      I know I’m going to miss my friends and family like crazy, but I’m really not sad or worried about it. I mean, this is basically the most exciting thing I’ve ever done in my life! It’s a huge opportunity for me to learn so much and to just go and have an amazing time. Also, I’ve already promised a long list of people that I’d have a pint for them at a pub, so there’s that to look forward to.
      Well, wish me luck on my trip-- I can’t wait!!

P.S. Sara, if you’re reading this, don’t go in my room while I’m gone to roll around on my bed and “borrow” things. The door will be locked for a reason. Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment