Sunday, September 25, 2011

I Have Internet Access!!!

            Hallelujah and praise the Lord- I have internet access! I've been trying to figure this out for
awhile now, so it's been frustrating. Yesterday, I was able to get online for a few minutes, and then it stopped working. But now I'm connected, so yay!
            Alright, so a lot has happened so far. I’ll be honest, I started to write an entry that basically
detailed everything that Jamie and I had done up to this point, from the airport to Stratford to Coventry,
but I had to give up once I realized I was writing something of a 20-page story. And knowing that some people’s attention spans don’t really amount to much more than a gnat’s, I figured I’d just stick to the
basics.
            So the plane ride was pretty uneventful, but going through immigration was just horrible—
I got yelled and barked at for things that were not at all my fault, and then I was interrogated for a few minutes even though Jamie went through smoothly. We made it to Warwick by coach, were picked up
by a lovely man named Peter who drove us to Stratford, and finally stopped off at Green Gables Bed
and Breakfast. Jean, the woman who owns the B&B, was absolutely the nicest person, and Jamie and
 I even got to see Barbara for a bit before we wandered into town for some sightseeing. We met up
with Jude, Jamie’s new roommate, to check out their flat (which was great, and very safe) and then
Jude suggested The Dirty Duck for dinner. Since it was my first official meal in England, I went ahead
and ordered the hand-battered cod and chips. Let me tell you, there’s a lot to be said for authenticity, because they were absolutely the best fish n’ chips I’ve ever had in my life.
            Jude (who, like Peter and Jean and Barbara, is a wonderfully lovely person) chatted with us
 during dinner and shared some good-to-know information with Jamie and me. After awhile, another
 one of the students in the program met up with us to have a drink. His name is Liam, and he brought
 his girlfriend, whose name I don’t quite remember and I feel really bad about that because she was
so nice. Honestly, everyone here is so nice. I cannot emphasize that fact enough! Anyways, we all
sat and talked for a few hours over drinks. Liam was very
entertaining; he’d traveled a lot and was genuinely an energetic sort of guy. Liam, his girlfriend
and Jude are all English natives, so it was really cool talking with them about the differences and
similarities between England and the U.S. Plus, their accents are just so much fun to listen to.
            On Saturday, I wouldn't have survived without Jamie and Barbara. Barbara helped us get
the coach tickets we needed to ride into Coventry at a really great price, but unfortunately Jamie and I
 missed the coach by like a minute, so Barbara gave us directions on how to get to the nearest bus
station so we could catch the next bus into the city. And Jamie, God bless her, helped me schlep
my luggage all over Stratford and then through Coventry. Seriously, we walked for what felt like miles 
to get to where I needed to be with my suitcase and carry-on, and I don’t know what I would have done
without Jamie’s help!!!
            Long story short, I made it to my dorm and have officially settled in. My room is pretty
decent, although kind of blank. I brought a few things from home to put up on the walls and stuff,
 so that helps a little bit. But the communal kitchen, shower and bathrooms are all closet-sized. Not
 even joking: I’m sharing one shower with like, 10 or 12 other people!! I’m not even sure which bathroom/shower/kitchen area is even mine, because the way the dorms are set up is like a crazy
labyrinth, and there’s no way to tell.
            When Jamie left me to catch her coach back to Stratford (which she missed, and had to
catch the bus instead- we’re sort of having rotten luck with the coaches), the inevitable feeling finally sank
in that I was alone. All alone. On my own. And it was the first time since I left that I felt
overwhelmed with fear, and I tried desperately to give myself a pep-talk and force myself to just
unpack and stop thinking about it.
            But then my mom texted me, and I was so desperate to talk to her that I phoned her back
instead of texting. Big mistake. At the sound of her voice, I started crying. I miss my family sooo much!! But she talked me through everything
 in that calm, even tone she has, and I began to feel a little bit better. When I got off the phone with her,
I pulled myself together and started to put everything away, hoping that once I was done, my puffy eyes
and red nose would go away and then I’d be able to go out and buy some food.
            Around the time I was done unpacking, I could hear voices across the hall from me, and
they were speaking in English with slight accents. I stood there for a few seconds, trying to gain
the courage to open my door and give myself the excuse to say hi and maybe make some new
friends. And I did it! Rieneke and Krystian are also exchange students here for a semester,
and they both came from the same university in Holland. Since meeting them, we’ve all been exploring
 the city together and figuring out where we need to go and what we need to do. They’re both so
 friendly and interesting, and I feel like I've already learned so much just by talking to them.
            And tonight, I finally got the chance to meet most of the other people living in my block. Besides Rieneke and Krys (he lives in the room directly across from mine), there's also Jessica from CSULB
living right next door to me (which is awesome!!), a boy from London named Sean on the other side
of my room, a girl named Frida from Sweden, a guy named Maxim from France, a guy from Spain
named Mariano, as well as a few more girls and a guy (I'm not completely sure about their nationalities,
as I haven't met them properly except for a few "hellos" but I think they're from Spain, Germany, and
the Netherlands... I'm sure I'll figure everyone out eventually). I really can't stress how NICE all of these people are!! I know I've said that already, but it's true-- they're just the friendliest people!
            Fresher’s Week starts tomorrow, so I’m really looking forward to finding out where things
 are, and what my schedule will be, and making more new friends. I also need to find a Catholic
Church at some point, but luckily I’ve got a week to do that. There is a beautiful church and a
cathedral right next to Priory Hall, and I can see it from my window, but it’s not Catholic.
Kind of a bummer, it would’ve been a very convenient walk. Oh, and there's also a cemetery
(so Lauren, I'll take some pictures for you!).  
             Well, it's almost midnight here and I have to be up kind of early tomorrow, so that's all for now.
             Cheers, my American friends!

P.S. For the record, no one here has called me a Yank.
P.P.S. Nutella in plastic jars versus Nutella in glass jars? Big difference. Biiiiiig difference.

2 comments:

  1. Uggh, I apologize for the weird format this thing keeps posting in- I'm trying to work out the kinks. Please bear with me, even though the lines are all weird!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We miss you already! It sounds like you're having a good time so far and that you've met some nice people. Yay!
    Update often if you can....we'll be following you closely....also sending you lots of prayers :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete