Monday, October 24, 2011

Halloween and Other Scary Things

     I can't believe I've officially been living in England for a month now. In a weird way, it feels like I've been here for much longer than that. I'm starting to realize, though, that the three months I'm studying abroad are probably going to turn out to be the shortest three months of my life. I'm going to exercise my poetic license and hope that you all forgive me for the cliche, but time really does fly when you're having fun. Actually, that's not entirely true: time gets distorted. Things that happened just yesterday feel like they happened a week ago, and things that you were planning on doing next month are suddenly coming up tomorrow.
     Speaking of yesterday and tomorrow, exciting news! We celebrated Alessandro's 25th birthday on Saturday by throwing him a surprise party in the TV lounge in the basement (he was in fact thoroughly surprised, considering we had sort of ignored all his texts and calls during the day trying to keep him uninformed) and then headed over to Platinum where they were having a one pound night. I think everyone had a pretty good time, myself included.
     So lots planned for the upcoming weeks and weekends! Halloween is next Monday, and I really want to go on a scary castle tour or something like that; my Mom and Jean will be arriving in London the first weekend of November and I'll be meeting them there for a lot of sightseeing and shopping and pub crawling; then they'll be traveling around for the next week and I'm going to join them whenever I can (planning to make it to Oxford, Warwick, and then staying at Barbara's house in Stratford with them for their last weekend here); and finally I'm hoping to make it to Ireland with some friends the third weekend of November!!! We want to go and explore Dublin for a few days, which would be so awesome since Ireland has always been number three on my list of countries to visit. (England was number one--check-- and Scotland was number two. Wales and New Zealand came in at numbers 4 and 5, but my list has grown considerably longer since meeting everyone here. Now I also want to visit Holland, Sweden, Spain, Belgium, France... I need to win the lottery so I can just go whenever I like.)
     Let's see, what else... Oh yeah, I found out some interesting information about Priory Hall. Are you ready for this? Are you sitting down? Are you holding onto something? Because apparently, Priory Hall used to be a mental institution. That's why it was built like a maze, so that the crazy people couldn't find their way out. I am literally living in a loony bin. Although, it does explain why I'm constantly hearing voices and some people's idea of "good music."
     But that could just be the paper-thin walls.
     Cheers, my sane American friends!

P.S. Playing Mad Libs with people who have never done them before? Priceless.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment